Tuesday, September 2, 2008

How do I answer that?

*Setting the stage: Hoodee(4) sitting on my lap while watching Scooby Doo.
Hoodee: "Mom, do Shaggy and the gang have a prophet?"
Mom: Thinking, 'What a cute question, he must be a deep thinker, I never knew what a spiritual kid he is', so I reverently anwer,"No, they're just cartoons - only real people have a prophet."
Hoodee: Frustrated from apparently receiving the wrong answer, "UGH! No Mom! Do Shaggy and the gang like the Prophet?"
Mom: Not sure what to say & having 2nd thoughts about my 1st thought, "Well, they're cartoon characters and.......
Hoodee: Totally mad, near tears, "Mom! Do Shaggy and the gang like the Prophet?!
Mom: Debating whether to get mad back (there's no low I won't sink to), or just tell him what I think he wants to hear, & understanding there is nothing spiritual about this. Decision made, "Yes, Shaggy and the gang have a prophet, it's President Monson." Holding breath for response....
Hoodee: Hesitantly, "Do they like him?"
Mom: Starting to breath, "Yes, they like him and listen to him."
Hoodee: Big smile and making eye contact for the 1st time since the conversation began, "Thanks, Mom!"
I guess I chose the right answer.

No comments: