Friday, August 29, 2008

Was That A Compliment?

Well it finally happened. I thought I had another 10 years, at least, before I heard what I heard, but I guess my time's up. What was said? Well, it went something like this...."Oh my gosh, how many kids do you have?" (this coming from a skinny, totally hot, young 20-something mother of 1) I happily reply, "4 kids, the two youngest are twins." (I always add that last part because I feel like I have bragging rights to the fact that I had 2 at once inside of me, sqeezed them both out and lived to tell about it.) Here comes the whole reason for this post, her response: "Wow, I hope I look like you when I'm your age and have had a few more kids."

I didn't know how to react. Was that a compliment? How old does she think I am? At that moment it hit me, I have said that a few times myself, always meant well, but it is not a compliment. Oh no! I would just like to take a moment to apologize to all of the hotty, old ladies I have ever said that too - I'm sorry, I understand now. I didn't realize my age was so obvious to other people! I was hoping that no one else had noticed the steady increase of cushioning to my back seat. I kept trying to tell myself that those crows feet are not really on my face they're only in my head. And I was sure that my gray hair really only shows up in my bathroom lighting at 11:00 P.M. I guess I'm wrong.

I'm not sure I'm ready for this - to be put in that "you look good for your age" category. It just means you're not as young & skinny as you used to be. I was sure that when I walked down the halls at the high school, (after dropping my kids off at the preschool that the child development class runs), that I fit right in and looked like one of the students. I suppose those boys weren't checking me out, they were probably wondering whose mom I was. And now I bet the girls were saying to themselves, "Oh my gosh, I hope I look like that when I'm as OLD as her." I was sure that the young 20-somethings thought I was one of them and that I must have had London when I was like 11. Oh well. Ready or not, here I am. I'm 33 and proud of it. I may not look as young as I used to, and I may not be as in shape as I once was, but I'm not totally giving up.....yet. Until then I'll just keep trying to "look good for my age"!

1 comment:

Erin said...

Well, since the topic has been brought up - I have always thought you looked hot "for your AGE" too. Hang in there while you can, you couldn't possibly have very many more "good" years left in you! (that was for the pest comment)
Love you!:)