Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Never Say Never

Have you ever said you would never do something only to realize that you were doing it? Manly & I both have long lists of 'nevers' that we have had to swallow over the past few years. Like the time Manly said he would NEVER be a lawyer - it's true, he was a geology major when we got married. Or the time I said I would NEVER be one of "those ladies" who just doesn't get ready in the morning and goes out in sweats, a ponytail and no make-up. The only difference now is that since I got my hair cut 2 weeks ago it's not long enough to put in a ponytail anymore. There was also the conversation we had where Manly swore he would absolutely NEVER EVER get a v....you know what I mean (he only did it to save my life, but I'm glad that was worth it to him). And there was a point in my life when I had parenting all figured out and could just 'see' all the mistakes parents were making, of course this was my pre-children era, and I proclaimed I would NEVER be inconsistent in my discipline, and I would NEVER yell at my children, and I would NEVER use T.V. as a babysitter. My biggest weaknesses, okay! It's so much easier to let them get away with murder while I blindly & happily sit in front of the computer typing away, until I lose my temper and yell at the top of my lungs, 'STOP IT!!!' and then wonder why they aren't listening to me. And hello PBS, what would I do without you?!
My list could go on and on, my point is I am the queen of going back on my 'nevers' and if those examples weren't proof enough then this blog is. Last spring when I started following some of my good friends and families blogs I would give Manly an update of your lives when he got home each evening. One day he finally asked "You're not going to do a blog are you?" (Knowing how much time I'm already on the computer, he was groaning under his breath- not more time on the computer in our already hectic lives!) My quick response was "Of course not! I would NEVER do a blog!" Well, I got a few more suggestions from some friends and family members about different blog ideas that I didn't ask for. Like, "You should start a Book Blog, to talk about your books with friends." And, "You should start a Picture Blog to show the different events you've decorated for (this girl saw some of those pics on my facebook account)." And, "You should start a blog so I know what's going on with you guys." To each of these I replied "No way! I don't blog." So here I am, my first post on my new blog. Thanks to all of you, you've inspired me by your creativity, honesty and willingness to share your lives with the rest of the cyber world. I really have enjoyed watching your lives progress over the last 6 or 7 months and I decided, to heck with this 'never' crap! I'm doing it. So I hope I can keep up with this, I hope you will help me and I hope I will Never say Never again!

9 comments:

Melinda said...

YAY! I'm glad you went back on this never. Your other nevers sound pretty familiar too. I got hooked on the Great and Terrible series too, and now I'm dying for number 6 to come out. I totally stocked up my food storage after reading those books. Can't wait to read more of your posts!

Unknown said...

HEY Em i like it how FUN for u to get a blog....see you soon!!!!

love,
Anessa Finklestein

Mandy Eames said...

Isn't peer pressure the best! Haven't we all been there with the "I will never have a blog" comment? I forgive you, and am completely pumped that i will get to see what Auntie Em and the clan are up to! Let the blogging begin!!
-Mandy :o)

The Hillbilly Banjo Queen: said...

Yay Em! I am so glad you started a blog. I love reading them and keeping up with other people. And your first post was hilarious. I am so glad I am not the only one to say never a lot and then have to eat it later.
loves---Heather

Katie said...

Hey- welcome to the blog world. I'm so glad you decided to go back on your "never" so I can keep up with you and your family. Loved you post. I have had many of those same 'nevers' on my list too. Katie

Sarah said...

If you can't beat 'em join 'em--- I am so glad you did! I knwo your kids will give you plenty of writing material.

heidi said...

I'm glad that you started a blog too! I wish more of the family would. We hardly see each other any more. I'll have to get your email address so when I go private I can add you.

Emilee said...

Melinda,
Thanks for stopping by! I've totally been doing that too! I finally have my emergency water supply ready (that's been a big stress for me because I just know we are all going to be poisoned by the water someday....not that I'm paranoid or anything) so I feel like I can relax a little. I'm like 98% positive 'the end' is going to happen just like books - I really hate Saudi Arabia now.

Emilee said...

Melinda, Mandy, Heather, Katie, Sarah, Heidi & Finklestein - Thank you so much for being interested and leaving a comment! For those of you who have a blog, I am following them and I love them. You are all so awesome!
Em