Monday, September 29, 2008

It happened

Guess what I actually got to do on Saturday? It's been a life long dream of mine, recently listed in my life list . Now, can you guess where I went & what I got to do? Let me give you a hint:

+ + +


Got it yet? Okay, try this:


+ la, la, la, la....


Did you get it? Can you see me? I'm the one in white. Oops, too vague? I'm just so excited. I'm the one standing in the middle, 7th from the left - 3rd from the top. See me now? Cute, huh?! Liar, you can't even see me. What an experience though. Best day of my life!

Since you were sitting next to me in my stake center in Idaho, you didn't fall for it, did you? But you, who weren't sitting next to me, fell for it, huh? I've always loved a good, clean blog joke (Sarah & Mary), who doesn't? Laughing is the best.
*
Actually, as I was watching the broadcast Sat. evening, I kept getting distracted each time the choir sang (I know, totally not like me). 1st, I thought about what it would be like to sing in a choir in the conference center, and then I started wondering, as the camera's would pan the singers, if any of them had blogs. I wondered how many bloggers there were singing tonight and if I would come across any posts on Monday about how wonderful it was to sing in that choir. So far, I've come across a husband of a singer blog, but no, 'it was so wonderful!' posts. And I'm done searching anyway because that's lame.
*
When you're watching conference or these broadcasts with big groups of assembled people, whom you don't know, do you ever start wondering about their personal lives? Like: Is that her natural color? I wonder if she's embarassed having the camera do such a close close up of her. I wonder what her dental issues are to cause her to get braces at this time in her life. How does the choir director have so much energy? Why is that lady smiling so big when everyone else is smiling normal? I wonder how closely I'm connected to her with the whole 6 degrees of separation thing. What white shirt would I wear? All these and more crossed my mind Saturday night at the broadcast.
*
I did actually listen to most of the broadcast.....(at times my mind would wander and wonder about the ladies I didn't know who were sitting by me.) It was fabulous, of course. But, this is the roller coaster ride I went on during the broadcast:
*
Me thinking at start of broadcast (fyi - I have a bit of a 3rd person relationship with myself in my head, but I know you do too, so I'm not wierd): 'I've already been gone over an hour, I should go home now. Why? I should clean or help get the kids ready for bed & church tomorrow. No, you don't want to do those things, you want ice cream. True, but I don't know if I can sit still for the next hour & 1/2. Do it! Okay I'll try, I'm glad I'm sitting close to the exit, just in case. Loser. Shut it. Listen to Sister Beck now.'
*
Listening for a few minutes:
*
'I am a loser. She is so good. If only I could be so charitable & righteous and worthy. I don't serve enough. I'm going to h. e. double hockey sticks. No, don't think that. You're good enough, you're smart enough, & doggone it people like you. Don't think about SNL during the broadcast. Totally inappropriate. Starting to feel a little lower, even more lower, and then something happened. As I listened a little bit longer, miraculously my spirits started to rise. Getting higher. 'Hey. I can do that. I want to do it. I want to be better. Who can I help?'
*
With each speaker my spirits rose a bit more and I was feeling so happy and grateful that I went and stayed (I can get ice cream after) and then it was Elder Uchtdorf's turn. 'Ha, ha! He's so funny. I totally burn the toast too. I'm definitely not as good of a cook as his wife is.' Feeling lower, a little lower and then up, up & away. He did it. Totally uplifted. How do these apostles and General Authorities have such great super powers? All of a sudden I'm the best person I know. 'I'm worth it. I can do anything I set my mind to. I am a woman, a daughter of a king. I can serve better, I can work harder. I can strengthen my home and family. I get it, it doesn't matter if I burn the food, I can sing with the choir someday.'
*
Totally worth going to.

8 comments:

Terésa said...

Ha! I totally fell for it! I thought you were there singing! ‘I know someone famous!’ I’m glad I’m not the only one who gets distracted with blogging thoughts. My friend wrote a great post a few day’s ago on EXACTLY what Pres. Uchtdorf’s talk was on, so I had the hardest time not thinking about her, and her post, and the way I was going to comment on it to her. It was such a good conference though.

*MARY* said...

I didn't even know about the RS broadcast, I'm in the nursery so all anyone ever tells me is "She's potty training so watch out!"
Then yesterday at church I find out our ward had a bunch of extra tickets to it that nobody wanted!
I would have snatched them up had I known. I could have made some money selling them on craigslist.

Unknown said...

Em,
When I was younger I used to get very distracted, especially during longer talks. But nowadays, I am totally mesmerized by watching them when they are fabulous speakers like those 3 sisters and Pres. Uchtdorf. They have achieved a level I can only dream of at this point. I would love to be more like them ASAP. More faith, more testimony, more worthiness for the spirit, more knowledgable of the scriptures, more compassionate and service-oriented, a better friend and neighbor, more prayerful and wise. I know there are many more, and those are the things I want when I listen to speakers at conference. A better me. It was great. Next weekend will be an even greater feast.
Love, Mom

Erin said...

Totally noticed the braces lady. Glad you stayed, and thanks for putting Ellie to sleep for me!

heidi said...

I never know about those things either. That is great that you got to go. I'm the same way too. I sit there and think of why I came and what I need to be doing. Then afterwards, I am soo glad that I stayed and was uplifted.

Emilee said...

Teresa - Ha! You fell for it.

Mary, that was my first thought too when you said there were extras, do you think now you could pass them for G.C. tickets? Just a thought.

Erin, thanks for letting me hold Brielle, I was just wishing I could have done it longer.

Mom & Heidi, did you get to watch this weekend? It was great.

Diana said...

I stumbled onto your blog through Cindy's, then Vanae's.... hope you don't mind! I love your thoughts about the broadcast, it's so funny that you wrote things I thought, but didn't think to write down. I think everyone's minds wander alot more than we admit! I also liked your comments about Wayne Richards, you summed it all up very well!

Diana

Katie said...

Ha Ha! I wonder the same things about someone's personal stuff when they zoom in on them.