Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Delusions of Grandeur

Last week I was thinking about my Things To Do Before I Die list. It was on my mind because my sister had emailed pictures of her fabulous trip to Jerusalem......the one in Israel. I know, totally on my list. I'm pretty sure I know how you're feeling right now and before I go any further I would just like to say, Chill out! I know you'll feel terrible if I die tomorrow and didn't get to go to Jerusalem, but seriously, I'll be dead. So I don't think I'll even care at that point. It's just one of those lists I have for myself. You know that kind of list with all of the amazing life goals that never actually get accomplished (unless you're Bill Gates or Oprah), but just knowing you thought of them and wrote them down makes you feel really cool. The list goes on:
*
Learn Spanish. My family and I go to the Spanish Branch in our stake. *For those non-Mormon readers out there - we go to church with Spanish speakers. Also, I would like to say, Welcome or Bienvenidos. People of all different religions, beliefs, political views, hair lengths, colors, shapes, languages & sizes are welcome - unless your eyes are violet and then I'm totally jealous of you. Okay, you're still welcome, I just had to get that out in the open so there's no awkwardness between us. It doesn't matter what church we go to, we're all still members of this great big dysfunctional human family. I'm thinking that someday I'll post a list of common Mormon vernacular & acronyms - I use 'em all the time. Maybe I should add that to my life to-do list. Anyway.....

Manly is fluent, I'm so not. I know I should be by now (we have been going to the branch for 2 years), but have you ever tried to learn another language? That was rhetorical. I don't want to hear your success story...this is about me right now. It's really hard! People say that Spanish is one of the easiest languages to learn. I keep telling that to myself & reminding me that, 'If I can learn English (yes, it is my native tongue.....but still), which is way more difficult than Spanish, then I can learn Spanish.' But it's just not coming to me. Studying might help, but seriously, who has time for that? Yes, rhetorical again.
*
Invent something.

I'm still trying to think of something to invent, but when I do it'll be AMAZING! It's going to be something that will help people, & at the same time look really stylish sitting on their shelf. It can't be too expensive because everyone will want it. And if everyone wants it, it'll have to be mass-produced. Okay, then I'll have to find a really good manufacturer with state of the art production lines that have all the latest robots & equipment. I'll also need to get in touch with the best patent attorney out there who will be able to see the vision of this product and how it'll transform our world as we know it. Top notch marketing will be a must - only the best for the best....... I'm getting ahead of myself here. I would like to invent something.
*
Sing with the MoTab choir.
Love them! All I would need to do is be an incredible singer & sight reader/reader of music in general, live in Utah & actually be invited to participate. But have you heard them sing? They rock - not literally, they're AWESOME! I love to sing. I'm not bad, but I'm a dreadful sight reader. I'm pretty sure that most, if not all, of the MoTabians can look at a sheet of music and just start singing it without accompaniment, or a fellow singer standing next to them, who knows what they're doing, that they can copy. And I don't live in Utah, probably never will. But, If I ever get terminally ill that's what I would wish for. And don't go getting all sappy again, be happy for me that I would get to do something on my list.
*
Travel back in time.
Probably not going to happen, but if it does I would like to meet: Micheal Landon, to tell him he was the BEST t.v. dad ever (I pattern my parenting after Ma & Pa Ingalls) & that Little House was the best show ever made and to quit smoking (& then I'll totally be a hero for saving his life.) Benjamin Franklin, I'm a huge fan, plus I went to Franklin High School in Portland, and we were the Quakers. I've always wondered if he thought that was a dorky mascot or not. Pope Joan, to find out if she was a real person or not. My Grandma Elsie, to tell her sorry for running over her, when I was 5, with her Cadillac. I would also like to be a fly on the wall in the Salem witch trials, wouldn't want to be there because I know they would totally think I was a witch, but I could be a fly. (As long as fly swatters weren't invented yet. Okay, they were drowning people to see if they survived to prove they really were witches so they could kill them. Of course they hadn't invented fly swatters yet).
*
Make a million dollars. This will come with the invention.
*
Become a funny philanthropist. I mean come on! We all love the rich guy, or gal in my case, who gives away her money to worthy charities, but it's the funny one who gets the laughs. I'm just saying....
*
Travel - I started writing a long list of where I want to go, and then it wasn't funny anymore, it was just a list. So basically I want to go everywhere in the world including this beach (on this plane - cool, huh?).
I think this & the philanthropic endeavors will also come after the invention. I better get working on that.
*
Win a major award.

I don't even care what it is, I'm not picky. It could be anything like: the Nobel Peace Price, the Pulitzer Prize, Mother of the Year, or an Oscar, or Mrs. America, how about Best Invention of the Century, or Philanthropist of the year, the Purple Heart would be great, or some cool blogging award. Anything will do.
*
This is my list. I never realized how much potential I don't have and how delusional I appear in writing until I actually see it in print before me. Depressing. But at least I'm realistic. Now you can help me & yourself: leave a comment. Seriously. Then you won't feel so guilty when I die and you're thinking, 'oh, how sad she didn't even get to do any of those things on her life list and now she's dead and will never have the chance again.' Maybe I can win some kind of blogging award by getting a lot of comments. Even if I don't know you, leave a comment. You won't regret it, you see I'll come & check you out & it'll be a win-win situation.

*Haunting voice from the dead*: "leeeaavvveee a commmmennnt"

6 comments:

The Hillbilly Banjo Queen: said...

I have never made a list of things to do before I die because I am too busy making lists of what I have to do each day like: put clothes on, feed the kids, brush teeth. OK, the real reason? It is too depressing. I make a lot of lists already and sometimes, when I find them later, I am amazed to find that I actually accomplished something on the list. Most of the time though, I find lists full of things I never did do. So sad. But I do like to play "if I had a million dollars" and try to get my husband to join in. Most of the time I have to play alone. I can do a lot with a million dollars! I think I will soon be playing "if I had two million dollars" because the economy is so bad. :)

Nancy said...

Hi Em! It's Nancy. You have got me thinking, what do I want to do before I die? I am going to have to think about that. I think my biggest ambition right now is to raise all my children to adulthood without killing any of them. JK And hope they all marry well and will take care of me when I'm old. I must broaden my horizons.I am sure if you every have enough money to become a philanthropist you will be a funny one. You make me laugh! It's so good to hear from you and see your cute family. I have thought alot about you over the years as well, but every once in a while someone would give me an update. My cousin was your nurse when you were in the hospital with your first pregnancy. My brother Bruce lives in Syrucuse where I think your parents live. I knew you had twins, which I heard was kind-of rough. I bet you are so glad to have them here. And I think I knew you lived in Idaho, but I don't know exactly where. About two years ago I ran into Robin English (Saunders) at Albertson's. It was way fun to see and catch up with her. Oh, my this is a long comment. I'm out of space-BYE!

Erin said...

I think those are great things to have on your list. By the way have you seen 'Bucket List'? Well, the only thing on my bucket list is:

1. Be as funny as Em!

I hope I never die, because I'll never be able to cross that one off.

keri said...

Nice list. Hey tell Ma and Pa Ingalls hi for me.

Unknown said...

Dearest Aunty Em: That was the greatest blog I've ever read. You know that I like to write and I've done a lot of it, but I'll never be as funny as you. You are a born comedian. Do you remember when you used to do your swinging arm and climb on the couch imitating someone? I can't remember who, maybe someone from SNL. I thought I would die laughing because I couldn't breathe! Reading your blog is more fun for me than writing one.
It was so fun seeing you on the weekend.
Lovvvvve from your admiring Mom XOX

Emilee said...

My mom gets the best comment EVER award! I didn't even have to pay her to say that (although she did stray from the script a little.) Thanks Mom, I love you too. And yes, I remember very well imitating.....Ed Grimley from SNL. Those were the days!