Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Cyber stalking

No, don't worry, I'm not being cyber-stalked. If only I could be so lucky. At this point in my blogging life I'm begging everyone I know to read it & leave comments - even if they think I'm a big dork. And hoping that people I don't know will stumble across it and visit for a minute then leave a charming little message. I'm trying to get discovered by the big blogging agents who are hanging out at the blogging malls waiting to discover the next big blogger. Me. Hasn't happened. Anyways.

Since I'm not a guilt trip type of person, I'm totally not going to say how I thought you were really my friends & family & if you loved me you'd do it. (Ew, I sound like the bad boyfriend. Don't ever give into him. In fact, break up with him right now & never talk to him again. You're way better than that. He doesn't deserve you. But totally do what I say.) Okay, FYI, I have a problem with tangents. I do them. A lot. So back to my point.

Today, as I've been stalki.....reading other people's blogs, whom I don't know, I've noticed that most of them have 2 things in common. They don't have many pics of their kids, if any, (definitely not the kind that are cluttering up the sides of their blogs) & they, well not many anyways, aren't using their families real names. I thought this was just because they didn't like their kids, or they weren't cute or something.

Then the light bulb in my brain turned on as I was reading through a post. This gal mentioned avoiding cyber-stalkers. Initially I didn't think much about . I mean isn't that what we all want? Someone to read our blog & be like, 'I like this blog I'm going to follow it'? But then my imagination started to take control. I started thinking about the word STALKER, & all of the unpleasant images it conjures up. Then, I started thinking about what a cyber-STALKER might try to do with our info. & pics & names of my family. It freaked me out and I was positive that my family & I were going to be next. Then I snapped out of it.

But, it left me a little freaked out & sweaty. So, I went back and changed the names of my family members - to goofy ones, but if you know us then it doesn't matter what I call them. You know who I'm talking about. And if you don't know us then you can think - 'wow they gave their kids really goofy names'. So, now I understand why some of you have gone private and why some of you call your kids #1, #2 ......you get the point. And to those of you I don't know, I'm sorry that I thought your kids probably aren't cute. I bet they're adorable, but you'll probably need to post a picture to prove it.

6 comments:

Erin said...

Good job, glad you are looking out for your family. Now I know I am not crazy - I was re-reading some of your posts and was sure their names were in it the first time I read through them, now they were changed. You are turning into quite the blogging pro - I anxiously await each new post!

Katie said...

Hmmm.. I have thought about this. I recently had someone post comments on my blog name "blog stalker" He left nice comments- but I have no idea who he is and his profile gives no true information. It makes me feel a little freaked out. And I am not sure what to do about it.

keri said...

O.K. your tangent problem, I must agree with you. I'll check into finding you some help. :) I do admit though that I check quite often to laugh at the newest tangent. Thanks.

EmailRevealer.com said...

That's a very good article.
I'm a private investigator and I specialize in online infidelity investigations and cyber stalking intervention.
I can appreciate your perspectives
I'd love it if you visit my blog at www.emailrevealer.com and give me some feedback.
I'm always looking for new insights so I can better serve my clients.

Marianna said...

Hey EM! I am a HUGE slacker! As you probably know from following my blog! :) But I have been meaning to leave a comment on how fun your blog is! GREAT job!!! I really like your style! And LOVE having a new blog to follow!

Emily Johnson said...

I was just thinking, Man, those are such weird names?!!?