Wednesday, September 24, 2008

THIS is a Good Place To Live

Life is fragile. That's all there is to it. There are simply things that happen in our lives which we have no control over & don't understand. Sometimes that's the hardest thing, about life, to accept. That's one reason why I am so grateful to have something to believe in. My beliefs have been fostered by the gospel taught in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. During the difficult times in my life this knowledge has helped me take that necessary step of acceptance and has given me hope for the future. This realization of life is also one of the reasons why I love where I live.

Most, if not all, of Eastern ID, has been touched by the sudden & tragic passing of the popular radio DJ, Wayne Richards - "the voice of SE Idaho". He died Sunday night while on vacation with his family in Hawaii. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends and all who loved him. Like many of you, I never knew him personally, but I'll miss him.



I'm a radio junkie - the A.M. kind, you know, talk, politics, issues.....the fun stuff. Since I started listening to that, about 10 years ago, I gave up F.M. radio. Didn't want it, didn't need it, until a couple of years ago. I decided to have music in the mornings, while the kids and I were getting ready, with local news and updates....school closures, things we need to know before sending our youngons off in the sub-zero temperatures. The dial always seemed to land on Wayne Richards' morning show on Soft Rock Classy 97 - Wayne & Liza in the mornings. Like many of you, I listened, I laughed, I called (I tried many times to be a contestant on battle of the sexes, but could never dial fast enough). I always appreciated his kindness to the callers & fellow DJ's, his clean, & smart humor, his quick wit, and his sincerity about the good things in life.

What I have come to appreciate just as much over the past few days is the way our community has rallied together to honor this man & support his family. Where else can you live & listen to public, on-air sobbing (without the DJ getting blasted for it), and being so touched you can't bear to change the station? In radio it's considered unprofessional, it's a big taboo. His station has spent the past 3 days making and playing tributes to Wayne (for his family), telling funny stories, sharing their memories of him & inviting listeners to call and do the same. It's been wonderful to learn more about him from normal, everyday people like me. Stories about him giving up his seat in the movie theater for someone else & how he was a sincere friend to everyone as he would always take the time to talk to people along the way.
*
Businesses all over the area are putting up signs to honor & remember him, a shop has made thousands of free bumper stickers with one of his sayings on it, and so many are telling their stories of how he was such a positive influence in their lives. I don't think these people are doing these things because he was a local celebrity & they want to jump on the bandwagon. I think it's because he was simply a good, decent, hardworking man who loved his family & friends & they want to reach out in their own way to help his family and each other. Initially, I wondered if business would resume as usual after a day or two, and if the emotion would cease. That hasn't happened, and my love for this community has grown.

I haven't always loved it here - the cold, the snow & the 8 month winters aren't really my thing, but I have always liked it here because of the people, especially in my neighborhood. This is real America. These are real people. They are sincere, hardworking, caring, down-to-earth, humble people. My family has been rallied around & strengthened by this community several times in the past few years as we have been through many ups and downs. Where else can you live and have neighbors (visiting teachers) who'll offer to take your newborn twins during the night so you can sleep and rest a weakened heart (literally)? - Women who have to get up at 6:00 am for their jobs and whose husbands would actually get up with them to help feed those babies. Where else can you live and have neighbors who'll organize babysitting for your children & bring in meals, while you're on bed-rest for 5 weeks, and aren't even permitted to sit up? Where else can you live and let those people help your family & take your precious babies and children because you absolutely trust them? Where else can you live and know people are praying for you & crying with you when you've suddenly lost your niece or brother or mother to tragedy? They bring meals, clean the carpets, share a hug and a laugh and give their love & support in their way.
*
That is where I live. Sure, it's not perfect. We have our share of crime, crazies & crooks (aka - politicians), but it's the people who make or break a community. And for the most part, these are good people. This is my community. Can you see why I've come to love it so much? I am saddened by the passing of Wayne Richards & I know it'll be a long road for his family to travel. Thank goodness, this community has been as a shining city on the hill during this tragic time. It truly is a good place to live.
*
P.S. While we're on this subject, please take a few minutes to check out the Nie Recovery link on the side of my blog. These young parents of 4 small children were in a plane crash last month & miraculously survived. Their flight instructor didn't. The two of them are trying to recover from terrible burns covering their bodies. They need all the help - financial, spiritual and physical - that they can get. Please do what you can. Sometimes all we can do is pray & I know it helps. Like most of you, I don't know them, but my heart goes out to them. I want to do something. I have been impressed with this blogging community, which I have recently moved into. I have seen so many links to Nie and everyone wants to help. It's wonderful.....and a good place to be.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Loved this post,Em. Its good for us transplants to remember all the things we love about our hometown and community. I feel the same way.