Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A Poem


Sometimes, usually when I'm way too emotional or feeling muy reflective or just so happy I'm high....... {bipolar? I don't think so, not yet anyway.} words, lines, even whole poems will just appear out of nowhere & land in my head. On the days I'm thinking clearly I either grab a pencil & paper & start writing or I try to memorize them, but then I always forget it an hour later. Hm, go figure.

Since Kiersten suggested I post this on my own blog, I thought I'd take her advice, after all she has an agent now so she totally knows what she's talking about.

This is a poem I wrote about 2 1/2 years ago when I was holding my sleeping 2 year old daughter on my lap. Her head was by my nose, luckily she had been bathed that week, & all I could smell was her. I loved it & never wanted to forget that moment or her smell.

Nostalgia

I hold you in my arms
your head tenderly close to mine
as I breathe in your youthful slumber smell
it takes me back to your days as a babe;


So innocent and pure
your sweet scent lightly dances on my senses
lingers in my mind
and is planted in my heart forever.


How innocent and pure,
cherished youthful slumber smell,
as you grow and it slowly fades away
it will stay with me forever......

13 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Em, this is beautiful! I'll be your agent! I know nothing about publishing, but who cares?

*MARY* said...

What a sweet poem; I'm glad you posted it. Kiersten really knows what she's talking about, sometimes.

rychelle said...

what a beautiful poem!
i know your daughter will love having that in her scrap book.

Erin said...

That is sweet, well done.

Unknown said...

Wow, that is a really beautiful poem. I didn't know you were a poet, you have to make sure you record all those poems. That is really special

The Hillbilly Banjo Queen: said...

You are a poet and I didn't know it! Such a sweet poem.

My challenge to you is to have a poem come to you with the word "horso" in it. What is horso? Nothing, really. Just the word verification word. It's a funny one though. Well, I think it is. It's like bingo only more horsey. Excellent.

Marianna said...

From the mom of a 10yr old, that poem brought tears to my eyes! It goes by so fast doesn't it?

Wendyburd1 said...

Wow it gave me the chills, that is GOOD!!

Kara said...

I love it! So beautiful and I totally agree with everything youw wrote.

Strawberry Shortcake said...

I am so happy you were able to capture a beautiful moment like that one in words. I think I need one of those mini voice recorder things to capture the things I never remember, but want to. Beautiful poem :)

Kiersten White said...

I still love this.

And Mary, I ALWAYS know what I'm talking about.

Wait, no, I never know what I'm talking about. Except this time, clearly I was right ; )

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful and says what so many mothers think and feel... thanks for posting it!

The Motherboard said...

I love that poem. If things don't work out with Kristina as your agent, I will hook you up.

I have some mad skills, sista!