Thursday, October 16, 2008

What did I do?!

Really, the question is what did I NOT do?

As I was perusing through Mormon Mommy Blogs today I came across a title which interested me. I thought it would make me feel better about myself. It was over at the Bingham Diaries, titled, Hi. I'm MomBabe and I'm an Idiot. I thought to myself, Cool. I'm a Mom & a Babe too, but maybe I'm not as big of an idiot as she is. Well, it didn't work. What her post did was made me realize that 1st: I like this girl & 2nd: I'm an even bigger idiot than she is! At least she caught her mistake, I didn't realize I had made one until she told me. What is this all about? I will tell you.

It has to do with a Cause, a Contest & a certain blogger named Sue. I bet most of you know about all of the different, fabulous fundraising efforts going on to support & help the NieNie recovery. You know, that beautiful couple (the Nielson's) who miraculously survived that tragic plane crash 2 months ago. They are the ones that we can all relate to & have a hard time believing that something so random like this would happen to them (even though we don't know them). Because being the semi-egocentric beings that we are we imagine ourselves in their position since we too have 4 young children who we stay home with & since we also share the same faith. So we just can't imagine going through something like that & we want to help. Our hearts, prayers & accounts go out to them.

Well, the aforementioned Sue, who I also bet most of you know (in a bloggy way), wanted to do something to help. So she started a contest for bloggers to submit their clever blog entry's either previously published, but preferably not, to a book that she wants to publish, sell & donate the proceeds of which to the Nie Recovery Fund. What a great cause!

I kept that idea in the back of my head & rolled it around a few times before I actually did anything about it. The deadline for the contest was Sept. 30, & according to true Em fashion I submitted my entry either on Sept. 29th or 30th (are you kidding me? I can't remember that far back). I just know I got my entry in before the very end of the deadline.

Before I ever entered the contest I had read through Sue's blog entry about the contest a few times and once again in true Em fashion I thought to myself, she doesn't mean me. Mine would never get picked. I'm not good enough to enter something like this. I'm not funny or clever. Only confident people enter contests & I'm totally not like that. You know, I was lifting myself up & being a true to form female. But in the end I decided not to listen to myself & do it anyways. A sentence at the end of the post caught my attention. The part where she said something like, "If you're not sure if you're funny enough, don't worry." Okay, so maybe she was talking to me. And I entered.

This is where the problem comes in. I did read her whole blog post, I just didn't necessarily understand all of the rules for submission. I guess I was supposed to backlink to her post about this contest & to the Nie Recovery site before the deadline. Like many of you, I have my Nie button on the side bar of my blog, so I thought I was good. From what I'm being told now, I wasn't. This is the part where you remember that I'm a BIG idiot too (not that MomBabe is because if it wasn't for her, I would have always assumed I was rejected because my submission wasn't funny enough.) Not that I've been rejected yet, I don't know what's going on at this point. But. If I don't get in the book, now I can always assume that it was because of being an idiot & not understanding the rules clearly & not because I'm not funny. Because I totally am. And that would make the rejection easier to take.

So, if any of you who have anything to do with this wonderful cause are reading this, remember, I'm sorry. I made an honest mistake. I don't speak computer so words like backlink just go over my head & I pretend I don't see them, because obviously they weren't meant for me. But now that I've been shown the error of my ways I've tried really hard to rectify the situation. I hope I've gotten enough backlinks in the right places to the right sites. Like MomBabe said, I really hope it's not too late. Please. Not that I'm begging because I don't do that. PlEASE!

Also, Thanks again to my new friend & fellow idiot MomBabe. BTW, you're not an idiot. You've helped me out a great deal here.

5 comments:

rychelle said...

i can't wait for the book. it sounds like it's going to be great (and hillarious).

Caroline C. Bingham said...

seriously. It's not my fault I'm an idiot. Especially when I think I might be famous by default.

The Hillbilly Banjo Queen: said...

Oh Em, you could never be an idiot. I hold the record for that one. :)

TheOneTrueSue said...

You are a total sweetheart - don't worry about it for a SECOND - I would never hold it against you. :)

(I'm still reading entries, if you can believe it.)

Thanks so much for posting about this, and thanks for participating - I really mean that.

Emilee said...

Wow! Thanks Sue. I feel way better now. You made my day!