Friday, October 3, 2008

My kinda kid

On Friday's SidySue has ballet (btw, it's seriously cute). So, Hoodee & I get to have a date. What's better than going to the public library with your 4 year old son? Going to the D.I. with your 4 year old son. These 3 places are in the same neighborhood & since Sidy's class is only 45 mins long I don't dare stray too far, because I'll be late. Her teacher doesn't like that. Trust me, I know. Whoops. Anyway, the library would be the perfect place to go, but guess what? They don't open till 10:30 - are you kidding me? Class starts at 10:00 so that leaves the D.I., which is an adventure in & of itself. Last Friday I met the coolest kid. A kid who says what's on his mind. Random stuff. A kid like me. Here's a recap of our conversation:


Kid: 'I have to buy something BIG with this!' as he holds up a $1 bill right in front of my eyes.

Me: 'Oh, you're lucky.'

Kid: 'Because I'm BIG, I'm 6! And the tooth-fairy brought me this last night. My Dad yanked it out really hard like this,' *he reaches in his mouth and twists and pulls on an imaginary tooth. It looked painful.

Me: 'You ARE lucky. The tooth fairy always forgets our house & it makes my kids cry.'

Pause. He stands and looks at me with wide eyes & a blank expression.

Kid: 'But I have to buy something BIG!'

He walks off.
A few minutes later:

Kid: 'Have you seen anything BIG? I need to buy something BIG with this,' as he once again holds up the $ bill for me to see.

Me: 'Haven't you found anything yet? It's hard to choose with so much stuff around, huh?'

Kid: 'Sometimes my head hurts in the morning from the pills I have to take that make me stay on task.'

I stand and look at him with wide eyes and a blank expression, until his dad comes over and distracts him, easily, I might add.

I like this kid.

3 comments:

The Hillbilly Banjo Queen: said...

That was a most excellent conversation you had. You threw him for a loop and then he returned the favor.

*MARY* said...

kids are sometimes funnier than tv.

David Conklin said...

I like that kid, too!!! That was funny :)