Monday, December 29, 2008

Oh-8 was really great!


It's hard to stay away from something you love for too long, things like chocolate, soap &, of course, blogging (also, mouse traps. Those would almost make my list if it weren't for the purpose they were intended.) Besides, there are just so many things that I've been thinking about lately, good things which 2008 has brought us, that I just had to share.

By now, you know me & my lists, ooh - that's another thing I love - lists! (If I wasn't already making one then I would go make one about cute men & the cute things they say.)

So, this is my list of favorite things in Oh-8 (trust me - this list is much shorter than it's nemesis. Who wants to read about things like darling {devil} children vandalizing your neighbor's garage with kitty litter, mouse infestations & hurting someones feelings & going into a depression over it? Hmmm. If you even know what I'm talking about then I guess you do.) Well, I'm not going there, this is happy list time & that's what I'm giving you. Happy. Now, shut up & read.... {Sorry, I can't believe I just said that, that's a bad word in this house - I totally belong on the naughty list - but for the sake of time & the gross misuse of parenthesis' which has already taken place, I won't go there either.} Here we go...

MEMO'S TOP 8 of Oh-8:

8. The birth of MEMOS (aka- blogging). Besides it being fun & meeting new people (in a not-weird way) it has been a great way for me to work on my writing skills, or lack thereof. It's an outlet for my own personal, public therapy sessions (also, in a not-weird way), & more importantly it is seriously helping me learn to balance my time & my undiagnosed OCD better. It's been very difficult these last few months, but I'm getting there..... my chillens are not nearly as neglected as they were 3 months ago.

7. My Publisher. com. This is one of my favorite finds of the year, thanks to my sister Jen. It's the perfect alternative for non-scrap booking, picture taking people like me who still want a nice way to display our pictures. It turns your photos into a book of art (I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some sort of endorsement prize). I'll be back.


6. The White Hornet:

{Please refer to You Know You're a Cheapskate When... for more details into the naming of the van & why I'm still in awe over driving a quiet, non-rattling van.)

5. Preschool. Need I say more?

4. Cost Rica. (side note - the pictures from this trip are now displayed in a beautiful hardcover coffee table book, thanks to My Publisher.com....{sorry, I couldn't resist.}) Manly & I visited C.R. in June. This is where he lived for 2 years, while serving a mission for our church. I got to meet some of the people he worked & lived with there, 16 years ago. Also, some of the beaches we visited were simply too gorgeous for words. I didn't expect to fall in love with the country like I did, but I simply love it there. The Spanish they speak is so clear & easy to understand, the people are genuine & the food was absolutely delicious. We'll be back!

3. This Christmas. This has been one of the best Christmases our family has had. Not that the others were bad, but this one has been different. It's been relaxing. I did my Christmas shopping the week before the big day with Manly & without stressing about how late it was. Instead of spending too much time shopping & worrying about shopping, I spent the time reading Christmas stories & watching movies with the kidlets. We didn't go anywhere Christmas day - we stayed home in our pj's, watched movies & played all day. It was also a more modest & more Christ centered Christmas for us. Nothing exciting - that's what was so great about it.

I think the best part of it this year was watching my 11 year old try her hand at being Santa, as she gave all of her siblings & parents unexpected gifts. She gave me her MP3 player, I checked & double checked to see if she really wanted to give it away & she was positive. She gave her dad some of her favorite sea shells from her collection & she gave her siblings things of hers which she knew they wanted. I was so proud of her as I watched her being thoughtful about the gifts & trying to make her family happy.


The other best part was later on in the day when my 7 year old, Epee, was sitting on my lap holding his new, big 'ol Nerf gun as we were watching a movie, & I asked him if he loved that gun. He turned around to look at me & said, "Yes, but not as much as I love you." Then he kissed me on the cheek. You can probably imagine how my heart melted & how that moment is burned in my mind forever! What more could I want (maybe a hubby who will learn to schmooze like his son...... hmmmm.)?

2. The adoption of Rocket. He has been a blessing to our family this year. It's amazing what a big, lazy, sweetheart of a dog will do for an angry 11 year old, & the rest of her family.

1.


You're smiling aren't you. How could this NOT make anyone smile?!

Crazy Horses = Lots of laughter & good, clean family fun. This has been, by far, my favorite thing this year! Thanks to an unexpected email from my good friend, Jaeme, earlier this year. My family & I have spent a lot of time watching this over & over & over again, laughing our heads off {including the angry 11 year old.}. Can you guess what is now downloaded on my new MP3 player? Yep. My new goal is too learn the smokin choreography & make my family learn it too so we can perform it at the next ward talent show. Yes!

That's my list & I'm sticking to it. I hope you've had a wonderful year too. See ya next year!

13 comments:

Kristina P. said...

What an exciting year! I starte my blog this year too. Good times.

The Hillbilly Banjo Queen: said...

Um...I smiled alright and then I felt a serious case of embarrassment. I still haven't gotten over it. If you can do the funky chicken while singing about crazy horses, you will be a hit at the ward talent show. Are you going to do the lead singing or play the awesome keyboard part?

J. Baxter said...

Love the video. Who knew the Osmonds had such a wild side? And if your fam performs at the ward talent show, you really need to post the video!

Happy New Year! (even though you don't know me, and I've never been here before...)

Shauna said...

~HAPPY NEW YEAR 2009~ Thanks for being such a sweet friend to me! L♥ve Ya L♥ts! (((HUGS))) :) Shauna

Erin said...

What a great list, sounds like you've had a few good things this year! Hope this coming year is just as great for you!

Joy For Your Journey said...

We went to Costa Rica this past year too! It was so much fun, I would love to go back. And I haven't decided on what to call myself now that I am a 'grandma' but I think your 'Lita" should be in the running. After all, my husband is from Mexico! :-)
Happy New Year!

Shauna said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR! Come get your free David Bowman sign print! The offer ends Mon. Jan. 5th at noon! Hope you are having a beautiful Sunday! ♥ Hugs :) Shauna

Strawberry Shortcake said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful year. Your daughter is awesome with the gift of her MP3 player. How noble! The video, however, is more than slightly crazy. Yikes! I have never heard that before and am wondering if I ever want to again ;)

Daya said...

I am so glad I have my computer back. I have been missing your blogs. I am glad you had such a great last year and I hope your this year is just as great!!

Dads(2) said...

What a heartfelt list! Make your 2009 be just as wonderful!

Kristina P. said...

Emily, where have you been, my bloggy friend?

Momza said...

I'm new here, but after seeing you included CRAZY HORSES, I just have to invite to come over and peek at my post today. I promise, you won't be dissappointed, if you really truly love Donny Osmond.
I actually owned that album...got it for Christmas when I was 12.

Penny McK said...

I love your list. It looks like a good way to end the year and start a new one. Can't wait to see your nine fav thing of oh nine!