Tuesday, January 13, 2009

"He's our good 'ol boy..."

I had a different post planned today, but since the events of this morning, I've changed my mind.

Rocket, our dog, is sick. He's at the doggy hospital & we're not sure what's wrong. It broke my heart this morning to hear him cry out in pain when he tried to get up & then plopped back down again. He didn't even eat his breakfast. That's the first time we've ever heard him cry & watched him skip a meal. Poor boy.

I never thought I'd feel tender like this toward him, like he's my 5th child (Before we got him, I swore that I would not baby the dog or act like he was one of my children. And now that's how I feel.). I've worried over him & prayed for him - even got a little choked up when the vet who makes house calls told us he needs to go to the clinic to get blood work & x-rays done, possibly surgery too. His abdomen is really bloated & painful, what's causing it is the mystery.

The first day we brought him home & I saw house nervous he was, I melted a little, and then as we got to know him I fell in love with him & felt grateful that we got to be his family. I've been so thankful for his sweet nature & the calm spirit which he's brought to our home. But I just never expected to feel like this.

Ugh. I have no more desire to see Marley & Me.


2 days ago we had our 11 month anniversary of having him with our family. I hope we have the opportunity to make it to a year. He's a special dog & I really think he was meant for us. He has fit right in & has been just what my kids, & all of us, have needed. Manly has a way of talking to him that we've all picked up on, which Rocket loves. He says, "He's our good 'ol boy, what a good 'ol boy he is..." in this crazy old man voice as he scratches behind his ears, and it just makes Rocket so happy. He really is a good 'ol boy.

Whatever happens, I know things will work out how they are supposed to.

10 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! I'll be thinking about yor and Rocket!

Erin said...

Poor Rocket, I hope all goes well!
I'm glad you posted, I was thinking of you last night when I saw another day come and go without one of your posts, I was beginning to think I would need to walk all the way down the street and around the corner to see if you were okay.

Joy For Your Journey said...

I am so glad to see you posting again. I have missed reading what you write. I am so very sorry about your dog though. How hard. Hopefully the blood tests will identify something easy to cure.

wendy said...

If "I shalt" - I will. I am sorry about your dog. We have had 2 dogs that we lost and it is soooo hard. Our last one, a beautiful cocker spaniel named "Lady Bug" got very very sick and actually died in my arms. We brought her home from the vet and I held her until she left us. It was very humbling to see her take her last breath and my tears just fell. Pets are pretty amazing.

Sarah said...

Aww, man. I know just how you feel. Also, I suggest you NOT go see "Marley and Me". I sobbed like a baby, and so did everyone else in the theater. I'm hoping for the best for Rocket!

Nancy said...

Em-I'm sorry. I hope your good 'ol boy gets feeling better.

Lynda Donkin said...

I'm in tears. I don't know what I'd do if my sweet Magnus had to go through that. I think I'd just be a mess. I know what you mean about not wanting to act like your dog is a child, but they make it so difficult. I couldn't imagine our lives without him. Rocket and your family are in my prayers. I hope things get better soon!

Elisa said...

I'm so sorry. I know how you feel.

My dog has been sick for a while now too. Isn't it weird how they just sort of worm their way right into our hearts??

I hope all goes well.

Strawberry Shortcake said...

I hope the doc is able to find out what is going on so he can still be with your family. They always find that special place in our hearts :)

alpinekleins said...

I don't even know you, really . . . but somehow I found my way to your site and read about your family friend. I won't be the same until I hear about Rocket - hope all is well . . .