Saturday, January 17, 2009

He's STILL our good 'ol boy...

I want to first thank all of you for your well-wishes & prayers on behalf of Rocket and our family. They have been felt & it means a lot to me.

So, here's our update: Rocket is doing so much better! I honestly thought he was going to die, although I couldn't bring myself to admit that out loud a few days ago. I didn't have much hope for him on Tuesday because of how serious the vet said it was & how much pain he was in. They did the blood tests and x-rays & thankfully ruled out surgery. It's still a mystery as to why his stomach is so bloated, which it still is, but he's been on antibiotics (for a problem they found through all of this {you don't want to know}, which they are guessing is what was causing the pain) and antacids - he burps a lot - and has mostly returned back to normal.

He's getting his groove back. On the mornings when I take the twins to preschool, I usually call out, "Okay guys, it's time to go," and then they get their coats and bags on and Rocket usually gets in line with them to head out the door and get in the van. Once he's out the door he then pushes his way to the front to get in the van first - we're going to have to work on that. But he did that on Thursday, when he heard me call out those magical words, he got up off his bed, pushed his way to the front and got in the van. Despite the bad manners we were all so happy. Each day he takes another step towards recovery & has a little more energy than the day before, & even though he's not 100% yet, he's definitely out of the woods and on the mend.

I think we are going to make it to our year mark....... knock on wood, keeping my fingers crossed & holding my breath.

So, thank you, again, for caring. That is something I have come to really appreciate about this whole bloggy thing - the goodness that is out there. Of course nothing is perfect, but what a blessing to have perfect strangers send us notes to let us know you care. You rock!

8 comments:

Daya said...

I'm so happy happy that your puppy is going to be okay. It's always so scary when a member of the family gets sick. Fur or no fur he's still a member of the family!!

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

I hope things are back to normal soon.

Kristina P. said...

I'm so glad he's doing better, Em!

Marianna said...

So glad he's doing better! And that he didn't need surgery!

Cynthia said...

I'm so glad your dog is feeling better- that means the everyone in the house is feeling better. Whew!

I haven't had to explain the loss of a pet yet to my kids. I sure hope it will be many years before I do.

The Hillbilly Banjo Queen: said...

I am happy to hear Rocket is on the mend. What a worry!

Joy For Your Journey said...

I am so glad to hear Rocket is doing better. Thanks for the update!

Nancy said...

Em-I'm glad Rocket is on the mend.

And thanks for the clarification about SSB...I knew I could count on you. For some reason it relieves me to know that it is written by a woman and not some old, fat, bald guy. Now I can read and enjoy, just for fun!

Oh, and will you send me your address again. It's on my old email and I can't retrieve it. I'm sending a late Christmas card. Better late than never, right?