Monday, January 26, 2009

Memory Monday: My Seinfeld Moment

If you've never had a 'Seinfeld Moment' then I'll fill you in. It's basically a semi-shallow, somewhat selfish moment in your life...... oh, and funny. Today, I'm sharing my favorite one.


Back in the day, at the beginning of my 2nd year of college, at good 'ol Ricks, I was seeing a guy named Dan ('seeing' is not quite steady dating but more than hanging out. Okay, we had gone on a few dates & our relationship was getting to that turning point which all relationships eventually get to - do we get more serious or is it time to fizzle.). I liked him, he was cute, but I definitely wasn't in love. So, this one weekend in October, Dan was headed down to Provo, Utah & offered to drive me down so I could visit my newly married brother & sis in law.


What a sweetheart. I thought it was so thoughtful of him to make that offer (as I was car-less in those days - who needs a car when you can walk?!), & it showed that he actually listened to me when I talked to him since I must have mentioned my brother & sil a time or two. Friday came & he drove me down to my bro's apartment. My bro, sil, & I had a fun weekend hanging out, and then on Sunday, Dan picked me up.


I couldn't believe my eyes.


You have got to be kidding me.


I just remember not wanting my brother & sil to see him & trying to get out of there as quickly as possible. Of course, being the great guy my bro is, he came out to visit with Dan the man & see us off.


I wanted to slide down in my seat & not let anyone see me with him.


The turning point had arrived & I had totally fizzled.


What? What could be so bad, you ask? Well, this is where Seinfeld comes in & I realize it's really kind of shallow, but it was funny.


He was wearing a dorky old mesh football jersey under his leather jacket & tight jeans. Are you kidding me! Who wears those when they're not on the football field? This guy was no football player either - he was skinny. And he didn't have anything on under the mesh jersey. Gross. Seriously, I was grossed out. I think it was that combined with his pilot's sunglasses that he liked to don every once in a while that put me over the edge.


That was a really long 4 hour drive back home that Sunday evening as I couldn't even look him in the eyes. That was the last of him. Unfortunately, I was never able to go out with him again because my calendar suddenly got really filled up.

I know, it was bad of me. I try to justify it by saying, I did question his integrity (okay, maybe that's not a fair judgement to question a person's integrity by what they're wearing) but sometimes he was a bit of a jerk to his roommates (that was real) & I don't do well with jerks. They're not my type. Either are the ones who wear see-through mesh jerseys when it's not even Halloween.
Now, I look back & laugh & realize it was the spirit telling me he was not the one for me. Thank goodness I was listening!
Have you ever had a Seinfeld moment?

7 comments:

Brandi said...

Nothing underneath. Disgusting. Since I have been married, Mitch has gotten me into Seinfeld (we own every single season)and I often find myself giggling to myself when I have a seinfeld moment.

rychelle said...

i have too may seinfeld moments to list. i LOVE that show!!!

it relates to everything in life. i can't tell you how many times i say "did you see that one episode of seinfeld? yeah? this is just like that".

priceless.

Joy For Your Journey said...

Aren't you lucky you had that moment! You didn't have to spend the rest of your life with the wrong guy. :-)

BTW, I just tagged you on my blog. You will have to read it and find out what your assignment is. I am looking forward to you fulfilling it!

Jenny-Jo said...

Could you just imagine how attractive "Dan" would have looked in his mesh jersey when he was entering his mid life had gained a few pounds? I don't think the spirit had to work to hard to convince you he wasn't the one. :-) That experience probably made it much easier to identify the difference of feeling when you met Manuel. So really, you can thank Dan and his unattractive mesh jersey in helping you find Manuel. Wow! That really does sound like a Seinfeld episode!
Jen

Kristina P. said...

Ha! Too funny. Usually people have Seinfeld moments when they are around me. I don't know why. I am awesome.

Strawberry Shortcake said...

Yuck... that was never attractive to me. Even Geraldo couldn't pull it off in Can't Buy Me Love. What are guys thinking? Mesh. It should be banned like spandex.

I don't have too many Seinfeld moments in my life, but my brother-in-law is a walking episode, so I keep in touch with him to get a good laugh. Thanks for sharing :)

Erin said...

Nice memory, thank heaven that is all it is!

I'll have to get back to you on the Seinfeld moment, I just don't think I have ever had one - my moments are much more Kramer.